Thursday, April 2, 2009

Tribute to Dave Van Ronk



Transposing Scott Joplin's rags from piano to guitar can be attributed to Van Ronk

June 30, 1936 - February 10, 2002
Dave Van Ronk has been my inspiration and gave me my passion for the guitar and music.



I heard a sample of "Tell Old Bill" the other night for the first time in 40 years. Just to hear Dave sing (instead of me) made me teary.

My visual recollections are few. Only  'In Concert at the Bottom Line' DVD and a guest spot on Ray Martin's day time show doing "Maple Leaf Rag".

2002: Sitting at my desk in College, I keyed in Dave Van Ronk, to my horror I was looking at his obituary.

Van Ronk happened to me January, 1965, his voice, his guitar, his words were enthralling. He could sing so gently, finalising his songs with a gutteral shout.

His guitar sofly accompanying him, also in an ever increasing intensity.

Dave along with Dylan influenced my musical career. I diligently learned all the songs on the first and second vinyls "Cocaine Blues", "He was a Friend of Mine", "Tell Old Bill", man I was addicted. I went in search of his 'Ragtime Jug Stompers with the Red Onions Jazz Band'!

When my friend Graham died, he took with him his record collection, including Dave Van Ronk ..... it was too expensive to import LPs in those days, so I had to console myself with two scratchy (very scratchy) tracks, "Gospel Plow" and "Candy Man" off an old Newport Folk Festival LP. Whenever I'm feeling melancholy I pick away at  a Van Ronk tune.
 

There is a site on Myspace with these four tracks for the listening:-



History of Rock and Roll
Dave talks 'bout Dylan for 10 secs



Dave Van Ronk “Candy Man”

Since writing this post I have now 5 Ronk CD's and playing the hell out of them!




No comments:

Post a Comment