Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Soulin'

I was wandering through the Botanical Gardens and for privacy sake let's just say I was 'aloft'. As I approached the Opera House I was privy to see Peter Paul and Mary, singing! Yep, that’s right an unscheduled rehearsal … God’s truth. I had previously been to see them at the Sydney Stadium early ‘60’s and will never forget their reference to a young lad named Bobby Dylan. They said he had promise as they launched into "Blowing in the Wind" .. hmmm, think he’ll make it?

Peter Paul and Mary "A Souling"

"A Souling" is a traditional English tune from the midlands inaccurately accredited to Paul Stookey.

All Hallows (that is, Halloween and All Soul's Day). Children would go from door to door asking for soul cakes. They asked for "any good thing to make us merry" but sould cakes were not originally intended for the living. Long before the Christian church gave the end of October and the beginning of November the name 'All Hallows', it was the Celtic New Year. It is thought that the sould cake tradition may be a remnant of the ancient, pre-Christian practice of preparing a final meal for the year's dead.



The song which launched Peter, Paul and Mary (PP&M)

Peter, Paul and Mary "If I Had a Hammer"

Mary Travers in her prime. With just a flick of her flaxen hair Mary gave me cold shivers. What a woman!


No comments:

Post a Comment